Reports to: Program Manager Department: Employment & Career Job Type: Full Time (35 hours per week)
The mission of the New York Urban League (NYUL) is to enable African Americans and other underserved communities to secure a first-class education, economic self-reliance and equal respect of their civil rights through programs, services and advocacy. Providing direct services for more than 100 years to New Yorkers across the City, the NYUL is a respected trainer, advisor and advocate. Additionally, the NYUL partners with government, business and civic leaders to call out injustice, create new opportunities and celebrate advancements that make the City work better for all of its residents.
The Retention Specialist will report to the Program Manager supporting the Employment & Career Services Programs. Duties will include, but shall not be limited to:
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE: Qualifications (education, professional certifications or licenses, experience, proficiencies)
• Proficiency in modern business communications including computers, email, voicemail, fax and copier equipment.
• Two years’ experience preferred, working with adult populations in workforce, education and/or social support role.
• Excellent communication, writing and interpersonal skills.
• Experience with/knowledge of best practices in workforce, job readiness and professional development. Physical Requirements
• Ability to use a computer for prolonged periods.
• Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
• Ability to speak clearly.
• Ability to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand or arm, for example, using a keyboard or phone.
• Ability to stand, walk, or sit for long periods of time.
• Ability to travel for a minimum of 1 mile within a reasonable amount of time in all types of weather, including inclement weather.
• Ability to climb five flights of stairs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Create a nurturing and supportive environment for participants.
• Act as liaison between participants and program staff.
• Meet regularly with Program Manager to evaluate, plan, and develop program activities and support measures.
• Monitor participants progress / completion of goals, reporting weekly all outcomes to Program Manager.
• Provide or refer training and professional development opportunities for participants.
• Support in management and development of resources library to promote participant success.
• Maintain proper documentation of engagement with participants.
• Be proactive in cold calling and maintaining frequent contact with participants and stakeholders.
• Perform other duties as assigned. Program Specific Responsibilities
• Provide direct services to participants; including assessments, service-plan development, advocacy, counseling, exit summaries and follow up.
• Develop and facilitate presentations and workshops including but not limited to job readiness, life skills, etc.
• Entering progress notes into PDM system regularly.
• Track employment placement and retention outcomes for program participants.
• Collaborate with the Diversity and Inclusion Specialist/Team to support workforce initiatives.
• Organize, plan, and support in the execution of workforce development events as necessary for various assigned projects. • Participate in professional development initiatives through individual and/or group supervision, attendance at conferences, workshops, seminars, or webinars.
• Attend and participate in organization-wide initiatives as required.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, COMPETENCIES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES INCLUDE:
• Associate degree with at least three years of professional work experience, particularly in workforce, case management, social services, and/or Bachelor's degree required with at least two years of professional work experience.
• Strong commitment to workforce development needs of our targeted community.
• Experience building trusting relationships and collaborative efforts with diverse individuals, employers, and community partners.
• Strong oral and written communication, time management and organizational skills are necessary.
• Ability to interact appropriately with people from diverse socio-economic, racial/ethnic, and varying cultural groups.
• Must have proven capacity to work independently, take initiative, and thrive in a highpaced environment.
• Ensure confidentiality in all areas of responsibility.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
•Ability to work outdoors and travel throughout NYC.
•Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and other standard business technology is required
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to Alyssa Ward, Program Manager at email@example.com. No phone calls. Salary range : $42,000$ 46,000 commensurate with education and experience.
Equal Opportunity Statement: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status