Program Manager (Project Ready)
REPORTS TO: Director of Programs
DEPARTMENT: Education Services
The mission of the New York Urban League (NYUL) is to enable African Americans and other underserved communities to secure a first-class education, economic self-reliance and equal respect of their civil rights through programs, services and advocacy. Providing direct services for more than 100 years to New Yorkers across the City, the NYUL is a respected trainer, advisor and advocate. Additionally, the NYUL partners with government, business and civic leaders to call out injustice, create new opportunities and celebrate advancements that make the City work better for all of its residents.
Project Ready is a signature initiative of the National Urban League which provides enhanced academic, cultural, social and life support to high school students as they prepare for post-secondary and career success. The Program Manager will lead the Project Ready initiative supporting 50-60 program participants at an in-school program between 8:00am and 4:00pm.
The Program Manager will report to the Director of Programs and be responsible for the overall development and management of services supporting high school youth focused on our college, career, and life readiness initiatives. The Program Manager will directly manage a School Based Partnership while supervising at least two team members (ie, staff, interns, volunteers, etc) to facilitate engaging extended learning time programming. The Program Manager will support all education related initiatives such as: Annual HBCU Fair, Girls’ & Boys’ Empowerment Day, College Tours, Whitney M. Young, Jr. Scholarship Program, State of Young Black New York, etc.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE: Qualifications (education, professional certifications or licenses, experience, proficiencies)
• Participate in strategy and decision-making activities related to the program portfolio.
• Maintain effective working relationships with program participants, community-based organizations,
and school providers to maintain partnership and active engagement in services.
• Work with the Director of Programs to develop and implement a recruitment, engagement, and outcome
plan to ensure compliance with all programmatic compliance.
• Organize and execute educational curriculum, work readiness assessments and program initiatives as
necessary for various assigned projects.
• Ensure that all services are tracked and documented weekly and take part in quarterly program audits
which will be facilitated by the Director of Programs.
• Participate in recruitment, interviews and supervision of staff, interns and/or volunteers.
• Submit monthly reports reflective of goals, progress, and upcoming initiatives.
• Provide content for the development of semester impact reports reflective of work with participants,
schools, and providers.
• Work with the Director of Programs to manage program budget lines and ensure reconciliation of all
• Participate in monthly professional development activities through individual and group supervision,
attendance at conferences, workshops, seminars, or webinars.
• Attend and participate in organization-wide initiatives as required.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree required with at least two years of professional work experience.
At least 1 year of supervisory experience preferred.
• Strong commitment to youth development principles with a focus on the college and career readiness
needs of our targeted community.
• Experience building trusting relationships and collaborative efforts with diverse individuals as well as
school and community partners.
• Strong oral and written communication, time management and organizational skills are necessary.
• Ability to interact appropriately with people from diverse socio-economic, racial, ethnic and varying
• Must have proven capacity to work independently, take initiative, and thrive in high-paced and school
• Respect for the value, potential and dignity for all program participants.
• Ensure professionalism and confidentiality in all areas of responsibility.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
• Ability to work outdoors and travel throughout NYC.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, social media and other standard business technology is required.
• Must be vaccinated for COVID-19 and pass background and clearance check.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Meet regularly with Program Manager to develop and execute program activities and support measures.
• Assist with promotion and implementation of program activities.
• Monitor participants progress / completion of goals, reporting weekly all outcomes to Program Manager.
• Attend collaboration meetings with stakeholders to ensure that projects are on schedule.
• Coordinate training and professional development opportunities for participants.
• Support in management and development of resources library to promote participant success.
• Maintain proper documentation of engagement with participants.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
JOB BENEFITS INCLUDE:
• Aetna Medical, Dental, & Vision Health Insurance
• Paid Time Off (PTO)
Twelve (12) Paid Vacation Days Accrued Annually. Increases to Fifteen (15) Vacation Days after 2 years of service.
Twelve (12) Wellness Days Accrued Annually.
Up to 12 Paid Holiday’s Off Per Year
• Corporate discounts – Broadway shows, Theme Parks, Concerts, Hotels, Car Rentals, and more
• EAP - Work/Life, and Wellness Benefit
• FinFit – Financial Health Tool
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to Shalima L. McCants, Chief Program Officer at email@example.com Salary range $51,000-$55,000 annually, commensurate with education and/or experience.
Equal Opportunity Statement: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.